Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Secret To Tasty Hummus

Photobucket

I've had quite a few different kinds of hummus in my day, many of which, to be quite honest, are pretty funky. I could never really put my finger on what I didn't like, until I tried making it myself. It seems to me that the problem lies in balancing the strong nutty flavor of the garbanzo beans with that of the other ingredients. Here is my basic recipe, edited from one I found online which basically just includes a lot more lemon - simple, but effective.

Tasty (Non Funky) Hummus

-2 garlic cloves minced
-1 15oz can of garbanzo beans drained & rinsed
-1/3 cup tahini
-the juice of 1 1/2 lemons or to taste
-1/4 cup water
-1/8 cup olive oil
-1/4 teaspoon salt

Blend all ingredients in your food processor and enjoy.

Tasty tip: Add a handful of cilantro for extra awesomeness. And maybe more lemon. Yum.

3 comments:

Jenni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni said...

Mmm, I just might have to try this recipe! I've had some good and some really funky dry hummus in my day. I usually buy roasted red pepper hummus because it tastes a little sweeter and it actually tastes like something, you know?

But I've been meaning to make my own hummus, but I've just been too afraid to thinking it'll be a disaster. Then I would just waste a bunch of food.

Beth said...

Understandable. My first batch was pretty nasty and there was a TON left over. Give it a try!

About Me

My photo
Apparently, this blog is all about cats. Check out my shop at >>>>WHITE WONDER